THE BETTER YOU CARE FOR YOUR SILK
THE BETTER IT WILL CARE FOR YOU
Hand washing is the best way to preserve your silk pillowcase and eye mask.
However, you can machine wash on a gentle cycle, cool setting under 30° C. Place your pillowcase inside out into a care bag and only use mild neutral PH detergent or a little (about 1/4 cup) white vinegar.
TIP | If you don't have a gentle detergent, you can use a little bit of white vinegar instead, soaking your silk for 20 minutes. This alternative is more effective in preserving your silk and will add shine to the fabric.
- Fill your bowl with cold water.
- Add a small amount, about 1/4 cup of white vinegar.
- Mix the water and white vinegar with a spoon or your hand.
- Place your silk in the water and use your hands as an agitator, gently moving the fabric around the water for a full minute or two.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes. This will allow the vinegar to disinfect and work its magic.
- Remove the silk from the water and rinse under cold water. Make sure you do this long enough so there is no remaining vinegar.
- Very gently squeeze to remove excess water.
- Repeat several times till you feel the vinegar is washed off.
TIP | Sun damages silk
- Lay a clean bath towel down on a flat surface.
- Lay your silk on top of the bath towel, making sure it is laid out smoothly.
- Lay another clean bath towel over the top of your silk. This will gently soak up excess water.
- Let it air dry between the towels for an hour.
- Remove the top bath towel so the silk can breathe. (You can hang it over a line away from the sun.)
- Flip it over every couple hours till dry. Your silk is now wrinkle-free!
I don't recommend adding heat to your silk, but if you really need to iron it this video will show you how.