FRESH MEDITERRANEAN SALAD TABOULI
A must for every dinner party, this salad also celebrates the arrival of spring. It is flavorful and beautiful, full of fresh ingredients from the garden! It has a refreshing lemon-based dressing that'll make anyone's mouth water. Serve with fresh romaine lettuce used as a wrap, the crunch will put a smile on your face. This dish pairs well with Mediterranean style french fries, Mediterranean olives, and hummus. Links are posted below ;) Make sure to use high-quality olive oil! I've noticed it makes a world of difference with these healthy dishes.
1. Rinse the burghul (#1 cracked wheat) several times and set aside to soak in water for 20 minutes or longer, till the grains double in size and soft enough.
2. Rinse and dry the parsley and mint. Remove the stems.
3. Finely chop the parsley and mint leaves. (Do not use a blender.) Add to your large salad bowl.
4. Dice the tomatoes, cucumber, and white onion into little squares. You can use a food dicer to make the process quicker. Add remaining ingredients to your salad bowl.
5. Squeeze the wheat by handfuls, removing all the water, and add to the salad.
6. Pour lemon juice, salt, adding the olive oil last, and mix well. Adjust seasoning and olive oil to taste. Pepper is optional.
TIP | To improve the flavor, refrigerate for 15 minutes before serving, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust the dressing as desired.
7. Serve accompanied by crisp leaves of romaine lettuce use as a scoop for the salad. An attractive serving idea is to line your salad bowl with lettuce leaves and mound the tabouli in the center. Serve with romaine lettuce for your guests to use as a wrap!
FOR THE DRESSING
½ cup lemon juice
½ cup high-quality olive oil
salt and pepper to taste