Mediterranean Fattoush Salad
There is nothing I crave more than a lemony fresh bowl mixed with the freshest greens! It's a Vegan Dreammm... Fattoush is colorful and you can add so many beautiful options like pomegranate, carrots, and bell peppers to give it more vibrancy and specialized flavor. The spices used compliment the palate decadently. The is a zesty lemon-based dressing with garlic, sumac, salt, pepper and sprinkled with virgin olive oil. The sumac makes all the difference! Bring the Mediterranean home. Make sure you use high-quality virgin olive oil, it makes all the difference!
1. Rinse and dry the parsley, romaine lettuce, purslane, and mint. Remove the stems. Chop and add to your salad bowl.
2. Cut tomatoes, radishes, cucumber, and chives. I like to cut the cucumber into circles and half them. The radishes I cut into fourths. Tomatoes are bite-size. Add to your salad bowl.
TIP | Add carrots and/or orange bell peppers for added flavor and color.
3. Prepare the dressing. Mince the garlic, add it to the lemon juice. Pour on the dressing. Add dried mint, sumac, salt, and pepper. Add virgin olive oil last, and mix well. Adjust seasoning and olive oil to taste.
TIP | To improve the flavor, refrigerate for 15 minutes before serving. Add the crispy pita toast just before serving.
4. Open the pita bread in half, so it's two full circles. This way the bread is thinner and the crunch will be perfectly delicious. Use a toaster oven to toast it to a golden brown. You want it crunchy.
5. Crunch up the pita bread into medium size bites. Add the crispy pita toast as a topping just before serving.
TIP | Add a handful of pomegranate seeds to add color and extra flavor.